Pages

Saturday 7 August 2010

Gay stuns Bolt

Tyson Gay stormed to victory in the 100m at the Diamond League meeting in Stockholm.

Gay clocked 9.84 seconds to beat Bolt by 0.13s and record his first ever win over the World and Olympic champion over 100m.

With perfect conditions in Sweden for sprinting, Bolt and Gay - the world's two fastest 100m runners in history - exchanged a touch of hands as they prepared to face each other over this distance for only the third time.

Bolt's last defeat came at the same Stockholm track in 2008 when Jamaican compatriot Powell took victory.

Since that reversal, Bolt had enjoyed 14 successive wins, including the last time he clashed with Gay at the Berlin World Championships last year.
And Gay, who impressed out of the blocks and dominated his fierce rival from the halfway stage, said: "It feels great to beat Usain but deep down inside I know he is not 100%. I look forward to beating him when he is 100%.

"It was very important to beat someone like that for the fans and the sport. My body worked well today, I was excited and motivated."

"I still need to work on my strength. The first 10 metres was rubbish. I had no power, no nothing. I have tried to work on it but it didn't work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment