Pages

Thursday 14 October 2010

"I will stop working when I have money" ; 82 year old canoe operator

An 82-year-old canoe operator, Mr. Wahide Peremule, who said he had been paddling canoe since 1955 said he would not quit the job until he had enough money.

Peremule, one of canoe operators ferrying residents living around Agiliti area in Agboyi Ketu Local Government Development Area of Lagos, told PUNCH METRO said it was proceeds from paddling canoe and hewing of wood that he used to pay the bride price of his wife.

"I will quit paddling canoe as soon as I have enough money so that I can go and retire in my home town in Rivers State," he said.

The octogenarian, who looked energetic and showed dexterity as he paddled some victims of the floods, said he was not bothered by competition from young canoe operators, adding that paddling canoe also required experience.

Born in 1928, Peremule said despite his age, he could still paddle canoe to a long distance and could ferry four passengers at a time.

Peremule, who said he was used to long voyage, added that he made N1,000 daily but could make N2,000 when "business is good."

He said, "I am not a happy man. They demolished my house and I was not given any money to build another house. Where will I stay now? I do not have any place to stay. I am squatting at Maidun. I am married and have four children and a grandchild. Some of my children are still in school. They do not like the job I do. In fact, this is not a good job. I do not like it.

"If I get another job, I will leave it immediately. However, I am in this job to make money and also because canoe paddlers are not many, residents and visitors will suffer as there is no other means of transportations to and from the town."

Culled from the punch newspapers

...OMG is this not pathetic....when am thinking of retiring at 42.....@ 82,he is still thinking of makin money.....when then is he gonna spend it???

No comments:

Post a Comment