Pages

Tuesday 20 July 2010

A FRIEND IN NEED

What is a friend? Some say it is somebody emotionally close, an acquaintance, an ally, an advocate of cause, a patron. Well, i guess our view of friendship depends on the context in which it applies.

My personal definition of a friend is someone i can call my "blood", a shoulder that i can lean on in times of despair. A friend to me, is someone that makes me feel being me is good enough. I don't need to feel ashamed around my friend, neither do i feel insecure cause i know he's got my back.A friend is that person that stands by you when you are cast down by difficulty, let down by others, or cast away by the world. My true friend would indeed be a stalwart of my ideas, our collective reasoning would tally like the ridges of a screw to a nut. He will never be too scared to tell me the truth even though he knows it would hurt my feelings, and is ever ready to clip my wings if i'm feeling too proud or ego driven. Such selfless people with all these qualities are indeed too hard and often impossible to find.

Many potential leaders and great men have failed to materialize because they had no true friend to turn to in their time of need, or were deserted by so called friends when they needed them most. Like Jonathan who helped young David escape death planned for him by king Saul, my padi would be there to save me from any adversary. O lord, give me not a friend that would only be punctual when my life is full of success and celebrations, but a friend that would be there for me when i'm down on the ground and battered by life's cruelty. My friend should be my springboard into the island of breakthroughs. If Hitler had a reasonable friend, may be the 2nd world war would have been averted, if Solomon had a trustworthy and spiritual friend, maybe he won't have tolled the path of sin and fallen out of grace with God. I'm sure great men of the world like Obama, Mandela, wouldn't have gone far without the assistance of true friends. Even Moses would have found it more difficult leading the Israelites without Aaron and Joshua by his side because they were there to reassure him when he was continuously vexed by the insatiable demands and sins of the Israelites. One of the greatest gifts the lord can ever give you, is a friend in need.

......Ayo Babatunde sent me this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment